From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012060715:40:32
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you can ALWAYS divide across!

On 2004050408:46:51, Loyd wrote: > >Just a post script to our discussion. > >The culprit in this division topic is the symbol that is used for >division, that is, the the dot over and under a bar. > > . >--- > . > >Division is really best represented by a fraction. Thus when we use >the symbol above, we should let the students know that we still have a >numerator and a denominator. > >If you have noticed, the division symbol used in the lower grades >disappears from text books in higher level mathematics. > > This message is worth repeating. The divide symbol almost gets removed as you learn more mathematics.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/