Q&A #12670

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Dividing fractions

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004021715:52:17
Subject: Re: you can ALWAYS divide across!

On 2004021714:33:20, DOG wrote: > >When you get the two fractions to have common denominators, you can >ALWAYS divide across. This process of finding common denominators is >not as mysterious as the "waving of the wand" that we all learned >(invert and multiply). You end up with the same solution, but the >reason is more justifiable since you are still dividing, not using >inverse operations. > You need to explain what you are talking about. Give an example so we can see your method. One doesn't need to get a common denominator to divide fractions. I don't see you point re the common denominator. Please show us how you would divide 1/3 by 1/4. The answer is 4/3.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®