From: Joanne

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009011100:38:02
Subject: Re: 5th and 6th grade math

I have had to teach both general education and special education classes using Chicago Math and both of my children were subjected to this during their education in the same district. I hate it! I have heard it referred to as the ADHD math program because it can not stay focused long enough on one concept for anyone to master it. Both of my children went on to hate math and feel that they will never be good at math. As teachers we basically draw from "traditional" programs and when we use the program we jump around the text to try and present it in an order that bring success. We wish the district would get rid of the program but it was so contentious when adopted that they could never admit it is awful and doesn't deliver.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/