From: Shelly
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000053114:51:17
Subject: Re: Chicago Math reviews

Last year I facilitated my then district's search for a new K-6
curriculum. The team (7 teachers and two support people) ALL
identified Everyday Mathematics (the UCSMP's elementary series) as
exemplary in it's development of rich mathematical understanding and
in the nature of the support materials for teachers.

The "peer" schools using EM had the greatest gains and highest scores
in state testing.

The teachers and supervisors in those districts did warn that the
scope/ sequence does represent a departure from the traditional that
was initially
disturbing to parents because it does not focus on memorization of,
and drill on basic number facts. I suggest that teachers would have to
augment the program a bit to support fluency with facts, perhaps with
some 3-minute drills, etc.
I heartily endorse the EM materials.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question