From: Kate

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006110200:32:57
Subject: Re: Re: Every Day Math

I read the post by a parent about "down with Everyday math." I would like to know what academically sound research suggests that topics are taught too quickly, that spiral math is bad, and that alternative +,-,x,/ algorithms are not potentially beneficial. I am a Stanford graduate and teacher, and I am concerned that many people bad mouth this program without being fully informed about it. If you are concerned about the curriculum, you should communicate with your child's teacher about it. No curriculum is complete on it's own. Your child's teacher should be supplementing the curriculum with additional practice to solidify basic facts and computation skills. There are several good resources for supplementation by Dale Seymour available. As a college graduate who took a number of math and computer science courses, I feel it is essential for students to understand that math is more than being able to learn a method and repeat it. As a high school/college student, I was often asked to generate my own methods, understand multiple approaches, and spiral through topics, revisiting some as necessary to put new ones into context. These are ESSENTIAL skills for later academic success. I encourage you to consider the fact that your child's grade 4 test scores may be less important that how he/she learns to respond to challenge and to situations where math is not black and white. A child who is not fully prepared to face these situations in later math may experience the classic decline in math performance that often occurs with US students in high school math and suffer in high school and college because of a misunderstanding about all that being a mathematician entails.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/