From: Madelin Guy <madelin_Gibson-Guy@charleston.k12.sc.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2010051311:05:54
Subject: Individualized Math Instruction

I taught a math program back in the seventies that was called IMS
(Individualized Math System). I used it in the 4th grade with my
students. It was used for remediation; but it can also be used for
acceleration. A prescription was written daily for each student -
whether it was to continue on the folder they were working on or to go
to another skill. For example, a pre-assessment determined what level
of subtraction the student would work with. There would be about 4 or
5 folders for subtraction. There was a post-test and you kept a
running record. You monitored your class and pulled one on one or
small groups for clustering.  I still have a copy of the instructor's
manual and will check for publishing information to share. It was
quite effective.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®