From: Laura <pyelaura@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999090221:25:37
Subject: Re:  Incorporating writing into the math curriculum

I not only try to incorporate writing into the curriculum, but I also
feel that speaking and explanation should be incorporated into our
math lessons.  I create question cards (copy multiple copies with the
correct steps of the solution on the back -- try to use dark or thick
paper so that the students cannot see the answer through the paper).
I usually do the cards the day before a test as a review.  The cards
are question-side up (so that hey cannot see the answers).  Student #1
solves the problem while verbally explaining the steps to the partner.
If the partner does not understand a step, he/she can ask questions.
When the problem is complete, and both students agree, they check the
answer.  If they get it correct, they each get 2 points.  If they do
not agree on a solution, and one of them gets it correct, that person
gets 1 point.  They should try to agree in order to get the most
points.  The roles are then reversed.  Good Luck!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/