From: Laura

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999090221:25:37
Subject: Re: Incorporating writing into the math curriculum

I not only try to incorporate writing into the curriculum, but I also feel that speaking and explanation should be incorporated into our math lessons. I create question cards (copy multiple copies with the correct steps of the solution on the back -- try to use dark or thick paper so that the students cannot see the answer through the paper). I usually do the cards the day before a test as a review. The cards are question-side up (so that hey cannot see the answers). Student #1 solves the problem while verbally explaining the steps to the partner. If the partner does not understand a step, he/she can ask questions. When the problem is complete, and both students agree, they check the answer. If they get it correct, they each get 2 points. If they do not agree on a solution, and one of them gets it correct, that person gets 1 point. They should try to agree in order to get the most points. The roles are then reversed. Good Luck!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/