Q&A #1506

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Incorporating writing into the math curriculum

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Lisa Leeper

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999072817:08:02
Subject: Re: Incorporating writing into the math curriculum

I have my eighth grade math students write "journals" every two weeks. The first week is always used for writing about an assigned math problem. I read all of the journals and return them with comments from me. The second week is used for revising and editing. The revised journal is turned in for the final grade. All of the writing is done as homework. The students groaned at first but really became careful and proud of their work by the end of the year. I think this was due to the feedback I gave them in writing. I also set up a format for the students to follow when writing about the assigned problem: .Introduction - restate the problem in your own words .Plan - what is your plan for solving the problem .Show work - "do the math" .Conclusion - state your answer as it pertains to the problem

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®