From: julie <juliebellefrost@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005031216:44:49
Subject: Re: fractions

On 2005031208:34:53, tracy wrote:

>i need to no the fractions of
>
>2.72
>0.692
>7.75
>3.427
>1.05
>6.081
>3.9
>5.006
>
>how do i write these down in fractions
>and how do i write these down in decimals
>

>263
>  ---
>  100
>
>then 5  and 9 over 10  7 abd 1 over 4
>please help me understand thse and give a sinple answer so i can cork
>other out please reply asap
>
>thank you
>
>tracey

Tracy!
This is how I"ve taught changing decimals into fractions. Remember:
one space=10ths=  /10
two spaces=100ths=  /100
three spaces=1000=  /1000

So: Take 2.72 from above. Everything to the left of the decimal is a
whole number. Everything to the right ot the decimal goes on top of
your fraction (the numerator). You use the amount of spaces filled to
the right of the decimal to see if your denominator (the bottom of the
fraction) is a 10, 100, 1000, or so on. On the decimal here, there are
two spaces to the right of the decimal so your answer would be:

2  72/100   or    72
                2----
                  100
On 0.692 you have no whole number and three spaces to the right so it
is   692
     -----
     1000

Another easy way to remember is that you need a zero for every space
to the right of the decimal. Three spaces=three zeros=1000.
Hope this helps!
Julie

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question