Q&A #1533

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Fractions

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Adriana Harkema

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008100318:24:06
Subject: Improper Fractions

I'm trying to write a lesson plan for relating improper fractions to mixed fractions. First, I was hoping someone had a unique way of introducing this using food (my theme for the fractions unit). Second, when explaining why 11/5 is 2 1/5 and then using a diagram, why is the diagram illustrating 11/5 not 11/15. Go to this website if you are unclear on what diagram I am talking about. http://www.mathexpression.com/improper-fractions.html I understand they are expressing it in terms of a set of 5, but when I look at that picture I don't understand how it can not be 11/15. What would I tell a student if they asked the same question. Adriana Harkema

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®