From: Cathy <cathyj1@stny.lrun.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999092419:12:44
Subject: Re: Making math fun for children

	I teach 7th grade Math.  To make it more fun and interesting, I try
to have the students "act out" concepts, like the distributive
property, ("mock" sports team, and the coach "distributes" the
jerseys)
Another way I have found to make it fun is to incorporate music.  We
sing well known songs, (some that have actions) with Math lyrics.
Students can compose songs for extra credit.  Some songs we do are:
YMCA (Acute, Right, Straight and Obtuse)
Achy Breaky Heart (Don't break the teachers heart, by failing to do
your homework)
Electric Slide (with a clothes line as a physical number line... to
show addition and subtraction of integers they do the "slide"...it is
also "electric", just like positive and negative charges from science
class)

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®