From: susan <snance@bigfoot.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002013000:18:22
Subject: Re: Saxon

in Algebra 1/2 and algebra 1 the answers to the odd exersizes are in
the book.  I know that the students whine about what they feel is too
much work, boring and repetition. However if you don't practice free
throws you aren't going to be much help to your bb team.  If you can
convince them to do every problem their skills will improve
tremendously.  I've not taught Alg. I but I have several saxon Alg I
(special ed.) students in my Contextual Geometry (non-Saxon) class and
their algebra skills are excellent. As good or better in some cases
than the "regular" Alg 1 students.  Half-way through the year now in
Alg 1/2 and we are doing volume and area of space figures that are as
difficult as what we did in Geometry!  I don't require all the
diagrams and such that Saxon has because sometimes the kids "get it"
the traditional way.  This is just my second year however with saxon
but I love the way the students elementary skills are when I get them.
We'll not finish the books this year however we will get within 5 to 7
lessons of it!!  Keep up the discipline--perhaps you could skip the
ones no one in the class miss on the tests!!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/