From: susan

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002013000:18:22
Subject: Re: Saxon

in Algebra 1/2 and algebra 1 the answers to the odd exersizes are in the book. I know that the students whine about what they feel is too much work, boring and repetition. However if you don't practice free throws you aren't going to be much help to your bb team. If you can convince them to do every problem their skills will improve tremendously. I've not taught Alg. I but I have several saxon Alg I (special ed.) students in my Contextual Geometry (non-Saxon) class and their algebra skills are excellent. As good or better in some cases than the "regular" Alg 1 students. Half-way through the year now in Alg 1/2 and we are doing volume and area of space figures that are as difficult as what we did in Geometry! I don't require all the diagrams and such that Saxon has because sometimes the kids "get it" the traditional way. This is just my second year however with saxon but I love the way the students elementary skills are when I get them. We'll not finish the books this year however we will get within 5 to 7 lessons of it!! Keep up the discipline--perhaps you could skip the ones no one in the class miss on the tests!!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/