From: Susan <sgreenwa5@msn.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006081322:32:02
Subject: Re: Addition/Subtraction facts

I think that is good that you have recognized that your son knows the
addition facts to 6 when using the flash cards. What could be holding
him back from writing the correct answers? One, is he comfortable with
writing letters and numbers? Some children have difficulty with
writing. Are you requiring him to write the answers in a certain
amount of time? Some children write slower than others. The important
piece is that you know he knows the answers to some of those facts.
Work with the the facts he knows, and yes, then progress with the next
level of math using the known facts. But, also continue to introduce
him to new addition and subtraction facts, a few at a time. I teach
students with tricks to help them remember the math facts.
Two Plus Two is Not Five is a workbook I wrote that was recently
printed to teach children the addition and subtraction facts. My first
book, How to Teach Math Facts, is another resource. Both books give
parents and teachers a plan to help children master the math facts.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/