Q&A #1590

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching basic addition and subtraction

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Susan

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006081322:32:02
Subject: Re: Addition/Subtraction facts

I think that is good that you have recognized that your son knows the addition facts to 6 when using the flash cards. What could be holding him back from writing the correct answers? One, is he comfortable with writing letters and numbers? Some children have difficulty with writing. Are you requiring him to write the answers in a certain amount of time? Some children write slower than others. The important piece is that you know he knows the answers to some of those facts. Work with the the facts he knows, and yes, then progress with the next level of math using the known facts. But, also continue to introduce him to new addition and subtraction facts, a few at a time. I teach students with tricks to help them remember the math facts. Two Plus Two is Not Five is a workbook I wrote that was recently printed to teach children the addition and subtraction facts. My first book, How to Teach Math Facts, is another resource. Both books give parents and teachers a plan to help children master the math facts.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®