From: Owen

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006080919:07:44
Subject: addition and subtraction

Suzanne A. and Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service said: "(1) Play dice or card games with him. Keep score. Let him decide who is winning. For example: roll two dice and have him add on. That means begin with the number of dots on one die and count on as in 5 + 3 more = 8. Take turns rolling and giving one point for the person who has the greater number." -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service Dear Suzanne: I think you and Claudia gave very good advice here. I also tell people to have the children play with dice to help them learn addition and subtraction. After the child learns the dice patterns I have them create the number symbol from the dice patterns. This works so well that some children can add and subtract faster than a calculator. You can get more information about this from the DotMath website at http://dotmath.tripod.com/ Owen

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/