From: Owen
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006080918:07:44
Subject: addition and subtraction

Suzanne A.  and  Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service said:

   "(1) Play dice or card games with him. Keep score. Let him decide
who is winning. For example: roll two dice and have him add on.  That
means begin with the number of dots on one die and count on as in 5 +
3 more = 8. Take turns rolling and giving one point for the person who
has the greater number."

 -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Dear Suzanne:

     I think you and Claudia gave very good advice here.  I also tell
people to have the children play with dice to help them learn addition
and subtraction.  After the child learns the dice patterns I have them
create the number symbol from the dice patterns.  This works so well
that some children can add and subtract faster than a calculator.
You can get more information about this from
the DotMath website at

http://dotmath.tripod.com/

Owen

Post a reply to this message