From: Suzanne Alejandre

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000080309:55:29
Subject: Re: Gender equity in mathematics

Dear Ian, >1. Do you have any idea why this should be more true for girls than >for boys? I can answer this for that specific case but I hesitate a little because who knows if this can be generalized or not? When I described the activity to Noreen, I was just pointing out something that I had observed with my students that year. When we did the activity (pictograms) the girls in my class spent about twice as much time (sometimes coming to class extra - before/after school) to create nice pictograms. The boys completed the task but they just didn't "get into it" like the girls did. As I say again, though, this was just my observation with this one group. >2. Do you have any reason to believe that this approach results in the >girls learning more mathematics than they would otherwise learn? No. I can guess, of course. I just hesitate to write my opinion because I have no formal reason to back it. As a teacher I try to find activities that are engaging. If a student (male or female) is engaged in the project whether it be that they like the graphics or what, I "think" I can hook them more into the mathematics that we are doing. Who knows, though, unless a test case is set up with a control group and all of that. Classroom teachers don't have time to try such things without a lot of support and help and I in this case that was not done. I'm not intending to sound negative. I just want to make it clear that my statements were not research supported and as a T2T Associate I was just sharing some friendly, teacher advice. Sincerely, Suzanne

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/