From: alberto Villasenor <ajvillas@episd.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003030423:14:32
Subject: Re: The purpose of algebra

When I was in the classroom(I taught math K-12), and I was asked
anything like "are we ever going to use this". My reply would go
something like this, " I cannot fortell the future, maybe you will but
perhaps you won't"  You study math today because it prepares you for
anything that you might want to be later on in life" And also you
study math because it is perhaps the best creation of the human mind
and it will develop your mind and teach you to appreciate it. After
that no one asked that question for the rest of the year.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/