From: Jeanne <djburing@fuse.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003021714:54:13
Subject: Re: Re: Purpose of studying algebra

I was reading the discussion regarding the purpose of studying Algebra
and the conversation centers around middle and high school.  I am a
4th Grade teacher in an inner city school.  I am currently earning my
Rank One certification through a portfolio study in Math,
concentrating on Algebraic Ideas.  A good deal of the Math curriculum
in elementary school revolves around Number Computation.  In my
studies regarding Algebraic Ideas, I have found many great lessons and
ways to integrate this strand into my Math Curriculum.  Solving for
unknowns requires a higher lever of thinking on my students' part and
Algebra should not be a subject tackled only by middle and high school
students.  If teachers in the lower grades approached Algebraic Ideas
as a necessary part of the Math Curriculum, then maybe students in the
upper grades would not have to ask -- What is the purpose of studying
Algebra?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®