Q&A #1739

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Purpose of studying algebra

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jeanne

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003021715:54:13
Subject: Re: Re: Purpose of studying algebra

I was reading the discussion regarding the purpose of studying Algebra and the conversation centers around middle and high school. I am a 4th Grade teacher in an inner city school. I am currently earning my Rank One certification through a portfolio study in Math, concentrating on Algebraic Ideas. A good deal of the Math curriculum in elementary school revolves around Number Computation. In my studies regarding Algebraic Ideas, I have found many great lessons and ways to integrate this strand into my Math Curriculum. Solving for unknowns requires a higher lever of thinking on my students' part and Algebra should not be a subject tackled only by middle and high school students. If teachers in the lower grades approached Algebraic Ideas as a necessary part of the Math Curriculum, then maybe students in the upper grades would not have to ask -- What is the purpose of studying Algebra?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®