Q&A #17459

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Who "invented" touch point math?

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: roenjewell

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008092622:55:27
Subject: Re: touch point math

Thank you for all the valuable information regarding Touch Math. My daughter (1st grade) just brought home a page of "math" work based on this method. Previously, in home, we had been learning base-10 math utilizing Math-U-See manipulatives. She was well on her way to grasping addition, and place value. I needed her to explain this "touch math" method to me. Immediately I questioned how stripping numbers of their values and ignoring place value, and ignoring the necessity of quantifying "0" will assist in her future understanding of mathematics. I see that Touch Math could allow for a "quick & dirty" approach to low-level computation. But then what?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®