Q&A #17525

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: smsg math texts

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: Jim Durovchic

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006121512:19:37
Subject: smsg math texts

As one of the lab rats who had SMSG math tested on them in the 60's and early 70's I would not recommend any SMSG math text book. I was in Advanced Placement Math for 6 years and SMSG sucked. Despite the experiment on America's children I evenutally leaned math and started getting A's in college no thanks to SMSG. I can think of all my fellow students who were subjected to this experiment, suffered but then went on to be successful despite our poor public education in math. The text books were about 500 pages of mimeographed typewritter written text that made no sense to most of us. I still have many of my SMSG text books among my collection of math books and they are laughable. In retospect I'm surprised we ever learned any math given the SMSG text books we used. The books used in schools now are far better but still not that great. When I help my kids in math I find some of the texts absolutly confusing despite knowing math. I would keep my eyes open on eBay if you are looking for SMSG text books. But if you can't find one you are not missing anything. Good luck!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®