From: Cheryl

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1998071011:50:55
Subject: Usning calculators in the classromm

I am a fourth grade teacher and do an activity similar to one posted. Put students in twos or threes and have each student take a turn with the following; student 1 holds calculator, student 2 gives a three- digit number to student 1 to punch in, after punching in the number student 1 should hit the + key. The calculator is passed to student 3, who is told by student 1 to add a specific number of ones, tens or hundreds to the number, after student 3 does this he/she should hit the + key and pass the calculator to student 2, student 3 tells student 2 to enter a specifice number of ones, tens, or hundreds, to this number, student 2 should push the = key to show the final number. Each student should take turns sayin the new number. There are several variations to this actvity. I have my files at school so I can't think of the others off the top of my head. Check back at my email in a week or so for others. To the K-2 teacher, try using an overhead calculator to ease the students into the how-to process. If anyone has some higher-level activities for students I am desperately seeking them. Have a great summer, fellow professionals!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/