From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2013112715:26:26
Subject: Re: Re: Exponential notation vs. scientific notation

On 2013112621:22:01, John Melon wrote: >[Quote] >What is the difference between scientific notation and exponential >notation? >What would the following be considered written in? >3.4 X 10^3 and 34 X 10^3 [/Quote] > >Recent conversation outside of this forum has led me here. I know this >question was posted long ago, but it's still on the web, unanswered. >Sooo.... > >They are written in Scientific Notation. Be mindful, Scientific >Notation uses Exponentiation as a method of expression. The "10^3" >portion of your expressions is the Exponentiation. It's the "x times" >an exponential ten which makes it "Scientific Notation". > >' hope this helps future viewers 8^) > There are calculators that let you set the calculator to scientific or engineering. Engineering notation only allows multiples of 3 as exponents. This web site will help. http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/roboticscurriculum/vex_online/lessons/remote_control/activities/activity_five.pdf

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/