From: Loyd <Loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2013112714:26:26
Subject: Re: Re: Exponential notation vs. scientific notation

On 2013112621:22:01, John Melon wrote:
>[Quote]
>What is the difference between scientific notation and exponential
>notation?
>What would the following be considered written in?
>3.4 X 10^3 and 34 X 10^3 [/Quote]
>
>Recent conversation outside of this forum has led me here. I know
this
>question was posted long ago, but it's still on the web, unanswered.
>Sooo....
>
>They are written in Scientific Notation. Be mindful, Scientific
>Notation uses Exponentiation as a method of expression. The "10^3"
>portion of your expressions is the Exponentiation. It's the "x times"
>an exponential ten which makes it "Scientific Notation".
>
>' hope this helps future viewers 8^)

There are calculators that let you set the calculator to scientific or
engineering. Engineering notation only allows multiples of 3 as
exponents.

This web site will help.

http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/roboticscurriculum/vex_online/lessons/remote_control/activities/activity_five.pdf

Post a reply to this message