From: andy bujno

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004102114:43:16
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Teaching elapsed time

I don't know if this is too late. I use a system for teaching elapsed time to 4th graders that seems to work. If for example the question is: If you start your homework at 3:15 and it lasts 35 minutes, what time will you finish? The way I teach it is through what I call "jumps". I write 3:15 on the board then make little 5 minute jumps from 3:15 to 3:20 to 3:25 etc. until I use up my 35 minutes in jumps. I make little arrows for each jump and write a 5 to signify the 5 minute jump. I do a similar thing when it is 1 hour and 15 minutes of elapsed time. I write 3:15 on the board and then show a 1 hour jump to 4:15. Then I start my 5 minute jumps until I use up my 15 minutes. I don't know if writing this message really does it justice or not.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/