From: Ray

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1998121715:25:54
Subject: Re: Highschool classes

{{ folks at T2T please forward this to Janey Watkins - she sounds very satisfied with replies to date and may not check back - you have her email addr. but its not posted as part of this thread. I think my first version of this message got lost in the ether, if you get two delete at least one of them}} I think the high school classes are a bad idea. Do a simple test to find out. Get the high school algebra book, open it to the middle let the student read for 30 mins then turn to the problems. If the student can do that, let him self pace through the book. A bright student can do all of the material in public school algebra in less than a month if you neglect the endless drill. Calculus is OK - a bright student can do all of AP calculus 1&2 in less than a year. But math is really a richly branching structure - try exposing group theory, number theory, topology. Don't worry about tutors and mentors, there are plenty of people who will help. I can give you a few URL's of examples. Find out what excites this kid. A self motivated self paced student will do better than than any pre defined curriculum. Check with the student and his other teachers. Find out if he is bored there as well and try to fix those classes as well.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/