From: pam clark <hatkeys@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000062320:33:03
Subject: Re: making math less difficult

Dear Antonia,
One thing my school has done is adopt a program called "Everyday
Math."  It is a supplementary program which uses the calendar, a
counting tape, and a daily depositor as the main 3 ingredients to
teach ALL math concepts and skills on a daily basis.  We have been
amazed at the ability of students to learn math vocabulary, multiples,
patterns, attributes of 2 and 3 dimensional shapes, etc.  There is a
lot of everything each day.  It takes about 20 minutes a day and the
children never get bored because the calendar changes every month.
The calendar pieces are put up one day at a time, so students make
predictions about what the next piece will be based on patterns
emerging each day.  It is really incredible.  It can be bought through
a company called "Great Start."

I also like to write songs and chants to help students learn
vocabulary, concepts, and skills.  It is really fun to do and the kids
love it.  I wrote a song called "Oh Perimeter" to the tune of "Oh
Christmas Tree."

Hope this helps.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question