From: pam clark

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000062320:33:03
Subject: Re: making math less difficult

Dear Antonia, One thing my school has done is adopt a program called "Everyday Math." It is a supplementary program which uses the calendar, a counting tape, and a daily depositor as the main 3 ingredients to teach ALL math concepts and skills on a daily basis. We have been amazed at the ability of students to learn math vocabulary, multiples, patterns, attributes of 2 and 3 dimensional shapes, etc. There is a lot of everything each day. It takes about 20 minutes a day and the children never get bored because the calendar changes every month. The calendar pieces are put up one day at a time, so students make predictions about what the next piece will be based on patterns emerging each day. It is really incredible. It can be bought through a company called "Great Start." I also like to write songs and chants to help students learn vocabulary, concepts, and skills. It is really fun to do and the kids love it. I wrote a song called "Oh Perimeter" to the tune of "Oh Christmas Tree." Hope this helps.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/