From: Chris and Nancy
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000062211:05:36
Subject: 1st grader bored with math

My daughter will be completing 1st grade in June.  She is bored with
her math.  I introduced her to adding larger numbers. adding more than
two sets of numbers, and finally adding numbers that required her to
carry the number in the tenths position to the left.  She is doing
pretty good at these sorts of problems.  Her biggest problem is
remembering to start at the right and work left. She understands the
idea and is accurate with her answers.  After a while I decided to
introduce to simple algebra. (7+x=10).  She was able to solve this and
similar problems on her own. Shall I work with her on order of
operations and more complex algebra over the summer. The exercise I
was thinking of is (7*b)-5 = 9.  She is in a regular class at a public
school.  She was also asking me questions about fractions and I
thought we could start to practice with those.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/