Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Linda Parker <LParker350@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004092809:48:29
Subject: Re: Parent: AM Math frustration

I read your opinion with great interest and am concerned about the
content of the AM program as well as the fact that some children seem
to be "slipping between the cracks."
Has your opinion changed about this program?
Have you learned any new information about it or how best to use it?
I have third grade grandchildren(twins) and am a retired math teacher.
I have never believed that relegating the teaching of math to software
was a good idea.  I do like having the various software programs for
reinforcing concepts however ( such as homework, review work, etc.)
The interaction between teacher and student is a complex one and more
important to some children than others.
The AM program reminds me of the "new math" that was such a disaster
in the 70's.
Thanks for your time,
Linda
Mississippi math teacher