Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Steve Schuiling

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003110323:21:42
Subject: Accelerated math - major flaws

As a parent and education student, I find accelerated math to be one of the most worthless programs that I have seen. I've seen this program in action and can honestly say that it doesn't teach the critical thinking skills that are needed to be successful. For example, AM emphasises the "plug and chug" method, i.e., here are four or five possible answers, now plug the answers into the story problem and see what works. AM doesn't faciliate the use of manipulatives either. I'm sure that an expert teacher could fill in the math holes that are created by AM, but why? Other math programs are far supperior to the emphasis that AM places on pre-tests and tests. My 4th grader finds this math frustrating. As a result, his grade plumented when he began this program. I've since filled in the gaps. Sure, bar code readers are fun, but too much emphasis is placed on technology and streamlining the math process rather than building life-long math skills. This program is new to our school, but so far I am not impressed. Then again, I'm a fan of Connected Mathematics which is far superior to AM, in my opinion.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®