Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Steve Schuiling <sjschuiling@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003110323:21:42
Subject: Accelerated math - major flaws

As a parent and education student, I find accelerated math to be one
of the most worthless programs that I have seen.  I've seen this
program in action and can honestly say that it doesn't teach the
critical thinking skills that are needed to be successful.  For
example, AM emphasises the "plug and chug" method, i.e., here are four
or five possible answers, now plug the answers into the story problem
and see what works.  AM doesn't faciliate the use of manipulatives
either.

I'm sure that an expert teacher could fill in the math holes that are
created by AM, but why?  Other math programs are far supperior to the
emphasis that AM places on pre-tests and tests.

My 4th grader finds this math frustrating.  As a result, his grade
plumented when he began this program.  I've since filled in the gaps.
Sure, bar code readers are fun, but too much emphasis is placed on
technology and streamlining the math process rather than building
life-long math skills.

This program is new to our school, but so far I am not impressed.
Then again, I'm a fan of Connected Mathematics which is far superior
to AM, in my opinion.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®