Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Dawn <dawnlouise@mycoupons.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000122814:39:57
Subject: Re: Re: accelerated math program

I'm sorry your son is frustrated with Accelerated Math.  I have been
using the program for almost a year.  I review every single TOPS
report with every single student.  This is a big job, but it is
essential to ensure sucess with the program.  This is the first thing
they teach you at the AM conference!  By the time my students have
missed a problem three times they have received whole group
instruction on the objective at least once, and they have received
individual help from me at least twice.

It sounds like your son's teacher may be new to the program.  You
might suggest that your son skip the problems that he doesn't get
(because no instruction has been given), this way he will get the
intervention from the teacher faster.  Tell him not to struggle with
problems he has never seen before.  But, make sure he takes his time
on the problems he has received instruction on.

Also, you might check out the advantage learning web site.  Ask them
to send you information on how the program should be run.

It is my belief that the program should be run with a text book.  The
teacher should teach from the text book first, then assign objectives
 from Accelerated Math.

Good Luck,
Dawn

Post a reply to this message