Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jennnifer <jlcorpus@sbcglobal.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006061418:45:59
Subject: Re: Re:  Huge growth in scores with AM

I don't think that one should use AM's testing to ascertain growth.  I
just don't think this would be the most scientifically valid method of
comparing before and after. I think students learn to excel at taking
AM's style of testing once they have been exposed to the curriculum
for a period of time.  The improvement in scores using their test
could actually be measuring their improvement in test taking skills
with math problems presented in what I would view as a rather
distinctive "AM" style.

I think a better way of testing would be to compare students"

1. of the same grade
2. at the same school

-using aptitude testing that was previously used for an past grade
year.

For example, look at the gain in scores from end of 3rd grade to end
of fourth grade for the 2004 and 2005 school years on an aptitiude
test already taken by these students.

Then, compare the gain of this control group with that of the group
who used the AM program.

That would be an unbiased study.
@

Post a reply to this message