From: Marli Stephens <Marli_Stephens@eu.odedodea.edu>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001032106:17:43
Subject: Mathland

I am currently working for the Dept. of Defense Dependent Schools.
Five years ago they adapted the Mathland Program for grades K-6.  It
had some major problems.  It lacked sufficient computation practice,
communication with parents, and homework materials.  It was not a
program to use if you weren't a "Math" teacher.  The teacher's manual
was very vague and really didn't explain the reasoning and concepts
behind the lesson.  Personally, I loved the program.  I supplemented
 from the previous program to make up for deficiencies.  It is also at
the the upper levels of Blooms Taxonomy.  The majority of my students
weren't there when we started but were able to get there by the end of
the year with a lot of hard work on their part and mine.

When we started the process of a new adoption two years ago, we again
looked at the Mathland Series.  Creative Publications had fixed a
number of problems that Mathland had previously had.  Our school
system opted not to go with Mathland again because of all of the
previous problems and bad press it had during the time we did use it.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/