From: Owen
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006072315:01:40
Subject: How to get motivated

  Take some time off to search out all the new developements in math.
There is less stress as a student than as the teacher.  The more you
know the more confident you will be.  Also look for the excitment in a
students face when they have an  "ah ha" moment (like they get it).
I designed a system to teach k-4 math that helps the children beat the
calculator.  It is called DotMath for kids.  I find it very rewarding
to see their face when they get 100%.

Last week I taught this to a friends grand daughter from Texas.  The
girl is in grade one.  I showed her how to use the paper calculator
and she had a race against her father (he had a real calculator).  She
beat him every time.  The battery died in his calculator on the race.
She was so pleased that she did not have to worry about a dead battery
with her paper calculator.

The web site is at  http://dotmath.tripod.com/

I hope you find this of interest.

Owen