From: Gordon Bockus

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002031517:51:05
Subject: Re: Value of two-column proofs

I definitely think proof should get more emphasis in geometry than it has in the past few years. I teach both the two column proof method and the flow proof method. After a while I let a student use whichever method they feel more comfortable and competent doing. I look at proofs as very structed problem solving. If a student is able to master geometric proof, they will be more successful at higher levels of mathematics. The last time we adopted textbooks, four years ago, not many of the geometry texts included proofs as part of the course except for a brief introduction in the back of the book. Proof should be taught! Two column or Flow, so long as it is taught.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/