Q&A #323

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Factoring and quadratics

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: Terry Rice

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001092607:32:24
Subject: factoring trinomials

I am very disturbed to read some of the methods submitted for factoring trinomials with a leading coefficient greater than 1. Kelly Stone writes about the illegal move and Martha Kumler writes about the same method. There is an enormous problem with these postings. Yes, the method works, however, it is NOT mathematically accurate. Tricks do not promote understanding and when we "teach" an unsound method we do more damage than good. I am very upset that we are posting unsound practices as "good" teaching techniques.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®