From: J. L.

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007100402:25:34
Subject: Re: fuzzy math

I can understand and support the notion that students need to construct their own meaning when learning Math. I also strongly agree with the importance of students having a strongly developed basis in number sense as they approach more complex material. However, this approach hits a wall when applied to the middle school and beyond; especially in situations where students have poor formal literacy and number sense skills. My question is, "what to do in this situation"? Do I plug on with algorithms and perpetuate students going through the motions? Or do I start from square one? If I do the latter, I will be then facing the issue of not covering the content as dictated by my local standards. I understand that this is a challenge a lot of more experienced teachers go through. I would greatly appreciate hearing the advice of those more skilled than I. Thanks, Teacher Down-Under

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/