From: J. L. <mr_le_is@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007100401:25:34
Subject: Re: fuzzy math

I can understand and support the notion that students need to
construct their own meaning when learning Math. I also strongly agree
with the importance of students having a strongly developed basis in
number sense as they approach more complex material.

However, this approach hits a wall when applied to the middle school
and beyond; especially in situations where students have poor formal
literacy and number sense skills.

My question is, "what to do in this situation"? Do I plug on with
algorithms and perpetuate students going through the motions? Or do I
start from square one? If I do the latter, I will be then facing the
issue of not covering the content as dictated by my local standards.

I understand that this is a challenge a lot of more experienced
teachers go through. I would greatly appreciate hearing the advice of
those more skilled than I.

Thanks,
Teacher Down-Under

Post a reply to this message