Q&A #410

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Everyday Math

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Judy

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000081117:15:42
Subject: Re: Teaching Chicago Math - having difficulty teaching children with poor skills and concepts.

Dear Robin, I understand where you are coming from. I've taught the Chicago Math program for 8 years now, four of those as a remedial math teacher for grades 2-5. I've also taught fourth grade. I hope you have been using the games that accompany the program. My students love them and that gives them the fact practice they need. Games like Baseball Multiplication and Multiplication Top-It let students work on their multiplication facts without the boringness of drill. I've also found parents like the games too because they have fun with the games. Slow down your pace just slightly and this will help. I'm very selective about what I teach my slower students. I pick and choose the best of each lesson and use only that. Problem solving will come as the students work with the various algorithm strategies in the series. Go back and read your reference manual for the procedures on these. Many have been introduced in earlier grades (2 and 3). Once children learn that there's more than one way to solve problems their confidence builds. You can also supplement with problem solver activities from various publishers. I like the Problem of the Day series and Problem Solvers books from Creative Publications. I hope some of these ideas help. Be sure to contact me if I can offer other suggestions for you. Good luck and hang in there. -Judy, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®