From: pam clark <hatkeys@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000062320:56:30
Subject: Re: Everyday mathematics

I think Everyday Math is incredible.  The daily use of and discussion
of concepts, skills and vocabulary really makes a difference.  I
taught a 4th grade inclusion class this year - 13 reg. ed and 12
special ed. students (LD).  Everyday Math offered something for every
ability level each day.  My students learned so much math
vocabulary!In Louisiana, we administer the LEAP test each year.  It is
a high stakes test the students must pass to go on to 5th grade.  Last
year, before Everyday Math, we had 12 students fail the Math portion
of the test.  This year, every child passed!  I believe EDM
contributed greatly to these results.  The test is all
problem-solving, no computation, so students have to be able to read
and understand each question, select a strategy to use, and correctly
compute.  EDM gives them daily problem-solving activities.  Our test
also includes lots of patterns and geometry which we found to be
abundant in EDM.  I can't say enough good things about the program.
We have adopted it as a school, so our students will spiral through
the EDM curriculum from k-6.  The counting tape at my grade level
showed multiples of 2-9.  What a great way for students to see how
multiplication is repeated addition and to see the patterns that
emerge.  I plan on using more of the elements this year.  I mostly
stuck to the 3 main elements last year since it was our first year
with the program.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®