Q&A #410

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Everyday Math

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: pam clark

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000062320:56:30
Subject: Re: Everyday mathematics

I think Everyday Math is incredible. The daily use of and discussion of concepts, skills and vocabulary really makes a difference. I taught a 4th grade inclusion class this year - 13 reg. ed and 12 special ed. students (LD). Everyday Math offered something for every ability level each day. My students learned so much math vocabulary!In Louisiana, we administer the LEAP test each year. It is a high stakes test the students must pass to go on to 5th grade. Last year, before Everyday Math, we had 12 students fail the Math portion of the test. This year, every child passed! I believe EDM contributed greatly to these results. The test is all problem-solving, no computation, so students have to be able to read and understand each question, select a strategy to use, and correctly compute. EDM gives them daily problem-solving activities. Our test also includes lots of patterns and geometry which we found to be abundant in EDM. I can't say enough good things about the program. We have adopted it as a school, so our students will spiral through the EDM curriculum from k-6. The counting tape at my grade level showed multiples of 2-9. What a great way for students to see how multiplication is repeated addition and to see the patterns that emerge. I plan on using more of the elements this year. I mostly stuck to the 3 main elements last year since it was our first year with the program.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®