From: Guido Feliz, Jr <sologuitar@webtv.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002031518:45:40
Subject: Ancient Math

Pat,

It is important to teach students ancient math concepts and theories.
History teaches where we stand today and the present reveals where we
are going.  The same can be applied to math.  I love to explain the
beginning of a math lesson by discussing where the idea behind the
equation, for example, derived.

All we know about math today started in times before the present.
Many students, for example, want to know where the idea of the
Pythagorean theorem came from and when they learned how it was put
together and by whom, it makes the class a bit more interesting.
Also, as teachers it is wise to stick to an interdisciplinary,
integrated approach to instruction.  Teaching ancient math without a
math lesson can be boring but to mix the two ideas can be rewarding
not only to the teacher but to the pupils as well.

Guido
NYC
Substitute Teacher

Post a reply to this message