Q&A #4348

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Decomposing numbers

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Chris

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004120420:49:05
Subject: Re: Decomposing Numbers

Although I am not a teacher, nor do I necessarily understand the terminology used in many of the learning standards, I can relate to the basic problem related to teaching subtraction with regrouping. My daughter is studying this in school right now, and I have to admit, I am at a loss of how you could ever go from having to rewrite the crossed out numbers in an advanced class. I was educated in Germany, but unfortunately don't remember how we were taught exactly, but the system I use for subtraction is really "reverse addition," in my eyes. Here's an example: 3 6 - 1 9 ______ 1 7 start with the ones: count up from 9 to 16, which is 7, but because you added up to 16 instead of 6, you add the 1 (or borrowed 10) to the tens at the bottom. Then do the tens: 1 (the one that was there already) +1 (borrowed)=2 count up from 2 to 3, which is 1. Voila, result is 17. Adding is so much easier than subtracting for most kids, and you don't have to cross out any numbers, just add a little number at the bottom of the tens/hundreds/thousands..... Does this make sense?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®