From: Earlene

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002092418:04:17
Subject: Halloween math bulletin board

One of my favorite bulletin boards was inspired by an article in a World Book-Childcraft book, copyright 1982, book 13 "Mathemagic", that I picked up at a garage sale. I used the idea for a Math Club Society bulletin board in college. It is a proof that vampires cannot exist, because if one vampire bites 2 people who become vampires and they each bite 2 people who each...soon there will be more vampires than there are people in the entire earth. So that if I am not a vampire and you are not a vampire, then no one is a vampire. Of course the assumptions must be true for this to be a valid proof, but the professors checked out the proof and it held up. So you can take a 4th grade level explanation and jazz it up to college level. It made a good bulletin board for October. I think it had something to do with the Binomial Theorem or whatever...how quickly we forget! I think high school students would appreciate it, and you could use charts and graphs instead of a formal logical proof.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/