Q&A #4990

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching algebra in middle school

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: James Munson

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003090320:58:53
Subject: Re: best way to teach algebra

After reading many of the responses in this section, I'm open-mouthed with shock. This is the problem with the teaching profession in general. It's true that there are always going to be some students that will have to fall behind, but to say that the majority of middle school students should not be learning Algebra due to some of the difficulties with grasping the concepts is absurd. In all of the years of studying math, I can't remember one level that wasn't difficult to grasp at first. With all levels of math, there are tricks and methods that enable the student to grasp the topic. Get inside of the subject, in this case Algebra, and figure it out as if you have never seen it before. ALL students in middle school can learn it, albeit some faster than others, but YOU have to be the beacon of light for them.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®