From: James Munson <jmunson@lycos.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003090319:58:53
Subject: Re: best way to teach algebra

After reading many of the responses in this section, I'm open-mouthed
with shock.  This is the problem with the teaching profession in
general.  It's true that there are always going to be some students
that will have to fall behind, but to say that the majority of middle
school students should not be learning Algebra due to some of the
difficulties with grasping the concepts is absurd.  In all of the
years of studying math, I can't remember one level that wasn't
difficult to grasp at first.  With all levels of math, there are
tricks and methods that enable the student to grasp the topic.  Get
inside of the subject, in this case Algebra, and figure it out as if
you have never seen it before.  ALL students in middle school can
learn it, albeit some faster than others, but YOU have to be the
beacon of light for them.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®