From: Sheri

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003090911:13:37
Subject: Re: Re: Teaching Algebra in Middle School

Way to Go Pat! I am a parent and I am trying to help my child with 8th grade math. We are really struggling. I have helped her everyday with homework and she is still getting a failing grade based only on her homework. I am a college graduate with a Bachelor's of Science in Business Administration. Yes, I did have to algebra and some pre-calc, but I wasn't doing it in the 8th grade. My daughter is not at that level, and I don't think it is right to lump all students into one category. Everyone learns differently. We are all different. I really think math is vital to development, but you are right we were not all meant to be rocket scientists. I think teachers are losing sight of this. Our children are precious and we need to help them not make things more difficult for them. Sure we want to challenge them, but in a healthy way. Not in a way that's going to stress them out so much they want to just quit school, or worse quit life all together because they don't think they are worthy if they don't excel at the same level as someone else. Thanks, Sheri Parent(and substitute teacher)

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/