From: John Silcox

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001012319:25:13
Subject: Homework grading

I teach secondary mathematics. I grade homework in two different ways. On the day following assignment, I give an effort grade; ie. 12 problems attempted out of 12 assigned earns full credit. The attempt must be an 'honest' attempt and I spot check a couple times per week to verify that this is happening. Secondly, once every 7-10 days I give a 'home work quiz'. "Open your homework section of your notebook and do problem #12 from page 124" (previously assigned and reviewed). Those who have maintained a proper notebook, organized and edited after homework review do well. Those who lose things, didn't actually do the assignment or neglected to correct their errors upon review don't do as well. Homework counts 30 points per assignment. I usually end up with 1200 - 1500 points per semester with a majority of those coming from tests and quizzes. I can usually tell who's been diligent and honest with homework with test and quiz grades.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/