From: Harmon <harmonchris@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002032600:21:02
Subject: a Tutors opinion

I'm a tutor at a community college and I've discussed this issue with
several female students I tutor.  I believe one issue is classroom
environment.  I've observed that most women need to be given freedom
to speak while they work on math.  I am not trying to stereotype any
genders, but there are some people who perform better when they are
able to talk their way through their problems.  Math problems are no
different.  In a traditional math classroom, no one can talk unless
the teacher allows them to.  This blocks the verbal student from
learning.  They are not able to repeat the concepts to themselves and
therefore they never truly grasp the idea.  As a tutor, all I have to
do is let them repeat the main ideas to me.  Very seldomly will a male
student require this, they usually show me on paper.  A female student
usually explains the concept verbally.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®