Q&A #5199

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Factors that affect girls in math

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Harmon

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002032601:21:02
Subject: a Tutors opinion

I'm a tutor at a community college and I've discussed this issue with several female students I tutor. I believe one issue is classroom environment. I've observed that most women need to be given freedom to speak while they work on math. I am not trying to stereotype any genders, but there are some people who perform better when they are able to talk their way through their problems. Math problems are no different. In a traditional math classroom, no one can talk unless the teacher allows them to. This blocks the verbal student from learning. They are not able to repeat the concepts to themselves and therefore they never truly grasp the idea. As a tutor, all I have to do is let them repeat the main ideas to me. Very seldomly will a male student require this, they usually show me on paper. A female student usually explains the concept verbally.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®