Q&A #5617

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Percentages

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: William

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002101012:34:04
Subject: Use of Percentage Sign in equation

I was asked by a mother whether a percentage cane be represented in an equation like the following. The example here asks: "A shop keept sells 20% of his orange stock today @ $0.5 each and he earns $50 today. So how many orange he has in stock when he start business?" I was asked whether this is an appropriate formau: Say y is the original number of oranges 20%y * 0.5 = 50. I was doubt that notation like "20 % y" means something else in mathematic world...where the "%" is an operators of special use. Please help.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®