From: dog

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004030313:26:29
Subject: Re: fractions

When converting improper fractions, you are renaming the fraction into wholes and parts. To find the correct number of wholes, the numerator must be divided by the denominator. However, if the student is not quick with their division and multiplication facts, this step becomes hard to "see." I ask my students to envision the denominator value as the "hole" that needs to be filled. The numerator is the "dirt" going into the hole. If you have an improper fraction like 34/15, you would envision a 15 foot hole and 32 feet of dirt. Ask yourself, "How many holes can I fill?" Two holes can be filled, with 4 feet of dirt left sitting in an unfilled hole...Got the visual? You can then rename 34/15 as two (w)holes and 4/15 (the dirt in the hole that doesn't quite fill it). Eventually, you can ask them, "How many 15's are in 34?" and use the responses in their correct form...2 with 4 parts remaining...also known as...2 and 4/15

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/