From: Sandy <jehovahjireh005@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006061216:36:47
Subject: Explaining Multiplying Fractions

How do you explain the fraction 1/3 x 1/3 to a student. I recently
begin teaching inmates at the county jail and this was one of our
problems. Of course I knew how to get the answer but couldn't explain
the concept so he could understand. I did the whole with 1/3 shaded
and then another 1/3 shaded from that and so forth and he still didn't
understand. I also took a whole sheet of paper, folded it into 3
parts, tore 1/3 and folded it, tore 1/3 and so forth. Am I explaining
this wrong?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®