From: Dick Buck

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001080315:05:28
Subject: Centers of triangles

If you don't want to just hunt down web references about the various centers of a general triangle, you can find the same information in any mathematical encyclopedia. For example in The Universal Encyclopedia of Mathematics published by Simon and Schuster there is an extended discussion (35 pages) of the mathematics of the general (and specific) triangle. Among other things, it contains a discussion with examples of the orthocenter (the point of concurrence of the altitudes), the centroid (the point of concurrence of the medians), the circumcenter (the point of concurrence of the perpendicular bisectors of the sides) and the incenter (the point of concurrence of the angle bisectors). It also discusses the Euler Line, the straight line on which the first three "centers" mentioned above lie for any triangle. This was part of all geometry and analytic geometry courses in high school a few years ago, so if you could find some slightly older high school algebra, geometry or trigonometry texts, the same discussion would be there. The reason I suggested a mathematical encyclopedia first is because I think one should be part of any math student's (and teacher's) library. They really are useful if you are interested in mathematics. By the same reasoning, I think that at least one good mathematical table book (CRC, Burringtons, etc.) should also be in everyone's library.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/