From: mimz <boogz_kim@yahoo.com.au>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004120506:42:41
Subject: Re: Math projects

G'day,

I may be confused by what you mean by a maths project, but I was
thinking that perhaps you could have groups of students in your room
design problem scenarios to give to other students to work on as a
long term project. These could be scenarios that provide a context for
the kinds of operations or concepts you want students to learn.
For example, for algebra, one group prepares the scenario for another
group that a train is driving at 80mp hr and the breaks fail, so the
passengers on board need to figure out a way to stop the train taking
into account the route it is taking, the resources they have available
and the problem could become more interesting by adding more
challenges, i.e. the train will hit a line block 20 km away, if the
train maintains speed how long do they have to stop it before it
crashes, but if they hit a steep decline how long do they have?
etc.... this could become quite an interesting battle of wits for
students trying to make their problems impossible for other students
to solve, and would provide you with some valuable insight on students
thinking by seeing what possible solutions the other students come up
with!

You could integrate other learning areas by getting them to present
their scenarios in the form of a scripted play, by making a power
point presentation or by building models to demonstrate their
solutions??? Maybe I am getting carried away, but I think that the
students would love the competition involved both in designing and
solving their own problems??

Good luck!!

Mimz

Post a reply to this message