Q&A #7008

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Support for a first-year teacher (math)

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: mimz

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004120506:42:41
Subject: Re: Math projects

G'day, I may be confused by what you mean by a maths project, but I was thinking that perhaps you could have groups of students in your room design problem scenarios to give to other students to work on as a long term project. These could be scenarios that provide a context for the kinds of operations or concepts you want students to learn. For example, for algebra, one group prepares the scenario for another group that a train is driving at 80mp hr and the breaks fail, so the passengers on board need to figure out a way to stop the train taking into account the route it is taking, the resources they have available and the problem could become more interesting by adding more challenges, i.e. the train will hit a line block 20 km away, if the train maintains speed how long do they have to stop it before it crashes, but if they hit a steep decline how long do they have? etc.... this could become quite an interesting battle of wits for students trying to make their problems impossible for other students to solve, and would provide you with some valuable insight on students thinking by seeing what possible solutions the other students come up with! You could integrate other learning areas by getting them to present their scenarios in the form of a scripted play, by making a power point presentation or by building models to demonstrate their solutions??? Maybe I am getting carried away, but I think that the students would love the competition involved both in designing and solving their own problems?? Good luck!! Mimz

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®