Q&A #7008

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Support for a first-year teacher (math)

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Brian Schroeder

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003112110:54:44
Subject: support for a first year teacher in math

i am a first year teacher teaching mainly freshman. i teach algebra 1 and pre algebra. I would like some ideas on how to start lessons and fill time. currently i start each day with a journal entry or problem of the day from the ohio graduation test. i then review homework and then lecture on the new topic. i have three problems that i want to address. 1. i have to tell them to get started every day even though i have their journal topic or problem on the overhead everyday. 2. my students lose focus after 15 minutes of lecture and sometimes i feel like i am fighting them for the last 5 or 10 minutes 3. how do you handle immaturity? students will take each other's calculators and make sounds.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®