From: Brian Schroeder <schroeb@vb.noacsc.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003112109:54:44
Subject: support for a first year teacher in math

i am a first year teacher teaching mainly freshman.  i teach algebra 1
and pre algebra.  I would like some ideas on how to start lessons and
fill time.  currently i start each day with a journal entry or problem
of the day from the ohio graduation test.  i then review homework and
then lecture on the new topic.  i have three problems that i want to
address.

1.  i have to tell them to get started every day even though i have
their journal topic or problem on the overhead everyday.

2.  my students lose focus after 15 minutes of lecture and sometimes i
feel like i am fighting them for the last 5 or 10 minutes

3.  how do you handle immaturity?  students will take each other's
calculators and make sounds.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®