From: Jan Sherwin <jsherwin@christianunified.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003030716:07:46
Subject: crafty tessellations in real life

Hello, Katie and anyone else who wonders.  It's sad that no one has
offered an answer to your question any sooner.  (My excuse is that I
just discovered it.)

Examples of tessellations in real life are ABUNDANT in the fabric
world, particularly in crafts, and especially in quilting.  Check out
the irregularly shaped tessellations on women's floral or Paisley
prints.  And don't forget Hawaiian shirts; even men's shirt have
tessellations.

The next time you go shopping, stop in at a fabric store or a sewing
machine sales store.  (In my area, this includes So-Fro Fabrics, JoAnn
Fabrics, and Singer Sewing sales and repair.)  Chances are that your
eyes will feast on the lovely quilts on display on a wall.  Even more
example abound in the rack or quilt designs.

I found a jackpot in a store in El Cajon, California.  After
explaining my purpose, the proprietor even let me us a digital camera
to photograph some quilts to show to my students.

If you have the time and inclination, encourage your class to make a
quilt from colored paper.  You could assign teams to plan the colors
and tessellations first, and put the finished quilts on display in the
school hallway.  If your school has many parent volunteers, you could
turn this into a community project by making real fabric quilts which
could be given away or sold to benefit a homeless shelter.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/