From: Jan Sherwin

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003030717:07:46
Subject: crafty tessellations in real life

Hello, Katie and anyone else who wonders. It's sad that no one has offered an answer to your question any sooner. (My excuse is that I just discovered it.) Examples of tessellations in real life are ABUNDANT in the fabric world, particularly in crafts, and especially in quilting. Check out the irregularly shaped tessellations on women's floral or Paisley prints. And don't forget Hawaiian shirts; even men's shirt have tessellations. The next time you go shopping, stop in at a fabric store or a sewing machine sales store. (In my area, this includes So-Fro Fabrics, JoAnn Fabrics, and Singer Sewing sales and repair.) Chances are that your eyes will feast on the lovely quilts on display on a wall. Even more example abound in the rack or quilt designs. I found a jackpot in a store in El Cajon, California. After explaining my purpose, the proprietor even let me us a digital camera to photograph some quilts to show to my students. If you have the time and inclination, encourage your class to make a quilt from colored paper. You could assign teams to plan the colors and tessellations first, and put the finished quilts on display in the school hallway. If your school has many parent volunteers, you could turn this into a community project by making real fabric quilts which could be given away or sold to benefit a homeless shelter.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/